Navigation Top
AGO Logo Graphic
AGO Header Image
File a Complaint
Contact the AGO



Residential Landlord-Tenant Resources & Links

If you rent your home you are covered by the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act (RCW 59.18).  The Attorney General's Office is prohibited from acting as a private attorney on individual residential landlord-tenant complaints following a 1985 court decision (State v. Schwab) of the Washington Supreme Court.  

However, another court case (Ethridge v. Hwang, 2001 Appellate Court) held that the Consumer Protection Act does apply to mobile/manufactured home tenancies.   Therefore, the Attorney General’s Office does accept and attempt to resolve disputes concerning tenancies from individuals who are mobile/manufactured home owners and are renting space for their homes in a mobile/manufactured home park.  If this applies to you contact Manufactured Housing Dispute Resolution Program  at (866) WAG-MHLTA (1-866-924-6458) or file a complaint

If your landlord-tenant issue demands immediate legal action, you may want to seek Landlord Tenant resources for legal advice, mediation or Small Claims Court (for claims under $5,000 - no attorney necessary). If your complaint involves more than $5,000, you may wish to seek a private attorney.  

Below, please find some resources that may assist you with residential landlord/tenant issues:

Help for Tenants:

  • Self Help Brochure
  •  Lawyer Referral
    •  If you need low cost legal assistance, contact the Washington State Bar Association, or your county bar association and ask about its lawyer referral program.
  • Statewide Legal Services for Tenants
  • Solid Ground Tenant Counseling & Education
      (206) 694-6767, 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM Mondays, Wednesday and Thursdays
  • Complaints and Inquiries about Housing Codes:
    •  Call your local city or county zoning or building departments
  • Low Income Housing:
    • Department of Housing and Urban Development
        909 First Avenue, Suite 190
        Seattle, WA 98104
        (206) 220-5205
  • Senior Housing Issues:
  • Complaints About Discrimination:
    • Washington State Human Rights Commission
        1511 Third Ave.
        Suite 921
        Seattle, WA 98101
        (206) 464-6500
        Toll-free: 1-800-233-3247
    • Also, contact your local Human Rights Commission or Housing Department.

Help for Rental Housing Owners:

The Rental Housing Association of Washington  provides advocacy and education services for roughly 5,000 rental housing owners--ranging from single family homes to multifamily communities. They also provide information for tenants. Based in Seattle, they can be reached toll-free at 1-800-335-2990.

A number of local agencies offer landlord-tenant information. Some also aid in settling disputes.

Benton-Franklin Counties:
Benton-Franklin Community Action Committee
(509) 545-4042

Columbia Basin Apartment Association
(509) 783-1800

Clark County:
Community Mediation Center
(360) 619-1151

Island County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties

King County:
King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project
(206) 267-7090

Bellevue Neighborhood Mediation Program
(425) 452-4091

King County Dispute Resolution Center
(206) 443-9603

The Tenants Union
(206) 723-0500

Seattle Office of Housing
(206) 684-2489

Legal Action Center
(206) 324-6890

Pierce County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Pierce County
(253) 572-3657

Skagit County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties

Skagit Community Action Agency
Volunteer Lawyer Program for eligible low-income residents
(888) 201-1014 To determine eligibility
(360) 416-7585 for questions

Snohomish County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
(425) 339-1335

Inland Mediation Center
(509) 456-0103

Northwest Mediation Center
(509) 456-0103

Thurston County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Thurston County
(360) 956-1155

Whatcom County:
Whatcom County Opportunity Council
(360) 734-5121 From Bellingham
(360) 384-1470 County-Wide

LAW Advocates
(888) 201-1014 To determine eligibility
(360) 671-6079 for appointments
Telephone only, no walk-ins

Housing Service Center
(509) 575-6101

[Back to Top]

Content Bottom Graphic
AGO Logo