Navigation Top
AGO Logo Graphic
AGO Header Image
File a Complaint
Contact the AGO

Help by Topic

Thank you for contacting the Attorney General’s Office. Each month our office receives more than 2,000 e-mails asking for help or information. We have found that many of the constituent inquiries fall into the categories listed below. In some cases, these inquires can more efficiently be handled by the agency that specializes in the area of the complaint.  In order to help serve you in a more timely manner, we have provided answers to the most asked questions in each of these categories. Please take a few moments to review the categories, click on the appropriate link and see if the information you need is there. Thank you!

Topics List


1. Adult Homes/Elder Abuse 16. Gambling 31. Non-Profits/Charities
2. Antitrust 17. Health Professional Complaints 32. Pensions/401K
3. Attorney Complaints 18. Homeowners Associations 33. Prison/Inmate Issues
4. Attorney General Opinions 19. Immigration 34. Public Records
5.Birth/Death/Marriage/Divorce Certificates 20. Insurance Complaints
21. Jobs
35. Real Estate Complaints
36. Sales Tax
6. Business Licenses/Start-up 22. Judges/Judicial Conduct 37. Schools/Teachers
7. Child Pornography 23. Labor and Industries Claims 38. Spam
8. Child Support/Custody 24. Landlord-Tentant Issues 39. Unemployment Benefits
9. Consumer Protection 25. Legal Advice 40. Utilities/Public Counsel
10. Counsel for the Environment 26. Legal Aid 41. Veterinarians
11. Crime Victims Assistance 27. Legal Documents 42. Washington Laws
12. Criminal Matters 28. Lemon Law 43. WA Patrol/Criminal History
13. Discrimination/Human Rights 29. Liquor Regulation 44. Whistleblower

14. Financial Service Providers
15. Firearms/CCP/Out of State Visitors

30. Local Gov't, Law Enforcement, Public Official Misconduct

45. Wills & Probate 
46. Not Listed?



1. Adult Homes/Elder Abuse

If you are concerned about the quality of care a relative is receiving in a state-licensed facility for the elderly you should contact the state Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) at:

Suspected abuse or neglect of residents living in nursing homes, boarding homes and adult family homes should be reported to DSHS at 1-800-562-6078 or 1-866-ENDHARM (363-4276).

Suspected abuse or neglect of an elderly person living in their own home or somewhere other than a residential care facility should be reported to the Adult Protective Services (APS) office in your county.  A list of APS offices can be found on DSHS' Web site at:

If it's an emergency and the person is in immediate danger, call your local police by dialing 911.


2. Antitrust


3. Attorney Complaints

Grievances against lawyers who are licensed to practice law in Washington should be filed with the Washington State Bar Association. For information on whether a grievance might be appropriate in your situation, visit

To discuss filing a grievance, call 1-800-945-9722 or write to this address:

Washington State Bar Association
13325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98101-2539


4. Attorney General Opinions

The Attorney General's Office provides formal written opinions about constitutional or legal questions when requested by statewide elected officials, members of the Legislature, appointed heads of state agencies, and county prosecuting attorneys.

The office does not prepare opinions for private citizens, state agency employees, or employees of local agencies other than county prosecutors. An official opinion expresses the Attorney General's position on a point of law. Opinions are considered persuasive but not binding by the courts. To review opinions issued by the AGO visit our Web site at:


5. Birth/Death/Marriage/Divorce Certificates

Contact: Washington State Department of Health, Center for Health Statistics
Phone: (360) 236-4313
Web site:


6. Business Licenses/Start-Up

Need information on starting a business in Washington State? Depending on the nature of your business and profession, licenses issued by a variety of state, county or city agencies may be required.

The state Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service website,, provides extensive information on business and professional licensing requirements. You may also contact the department at:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034


7. Child Pornography

The Criminal Justice Division of our office can review e-mails of this nature to determine if further action is warranted and if so, will forward it on to the proper agency.

It is important to keep in mind that although these e-mails are extremely offensive, they are often not illegal because in many cases there are no minors involved. The ads simply claim to have minors, but instead use young looking adults.

In addition to contacting our office, we encourage those who believe that they have received pornographic e-mail to report it to The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children The NCMEC, in partnership with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, offers an online reporting form or you may telephone their CyberTipline at 1-800-843-5678.

There are also educational resources for parents available at the NCMEC online library: Topics include information on child abductions, child exploitation and how to help keep your kids safe on the Internet.

High Tech Crimes, including Child Pornography, can also be reported at the website

It is our goal to protect consumers from deceptive Internet practices and other Internet crimes. Our Web site is a valuable source of information regarding citizen awareness on the Internet. To learn how to better protect yourself and your family, check out our site at


8. Child Support/Custody

The Attorney General's Office does not have the authority to intervene on behalf of private citizens in child custody matters. We can best serve you by suggesting you contact a private attorney for legal advice and assistance. If you do not know an attorney in your area, the Washington State Bar Association's Web site provides information on attorney referral services for persons of varying income levels. You may also contact the Bar by calling 1-800-945-WSBA (9722).

If your inquiry involves a child in state custody, you should contact the Department of Social and Health Services at:

Child support inquiries should be directed to the Child Support Services division of the Department of Social and Health Services at:


9. Consumer Protection


10. Counsel for the Environment


11. Crime Victims Assistance

The Washington State the Department of Labor and Industries administers the Crime Victims Compensation program. For further information, visit:


12. Criminal Matters

The AGO has no original criminal jurisdiction.  Specifically, the Attorney General’s Office may only exercise criminal jurisdiction upon the written request of an elected county prosecutor, the governor, or a majority of the committee charged with the oversight of the organized crime intelligence unit.  Absent such a written request, the county prosecutors are the only ones with original criminal jurisdiction in Washington state.  You should contact  your local law enforcement office or prosecutor's office.


13. Discrimination/Human Rights

The Washington State Human Rights Commission is the agency that responds to human rights complaints. If you wish to file a formal complaint with the Commission, you must do so within six months of the incident. The Commission can be reached at: or:


For complaints from Western Washington and the Olympics, including Pierce, Thurston, Clark, Lewis, Grays Harbor, and Kitsap counties
(360) 753-6770
1-800-300-7525 (TTY)

For complaints from Eastern Washington, including Spokane, Whitman, Okanogan, Lincoln, Ferry, and Stevens counties
(509) 568-3196

For complaints from Central and North Puget Sound, including King, Snohomish, Skagit, San Juan, Island, and Whatcom counties
(206) 464-6500
(206) 587-5168 (TTY)

For complaints from Central Washington, including Yakima, Kittitas, Chelan, Benton, Walla Walla, and Klickitat counties
(509) 575-2772



 14. Financial Service Providers

The Department of Financial Institutions is a state agency that regulates financial enterprises and individuals, including:

  • State chartered banks and credit unions
  • Mortgage brokers
  • Consumer loan companies
  • Payday lenders
  • Escrow agents
  • Money transmitters and currency exchanges
  • Securities issuers and salespeople
  • Franchise and business opportunity sellers

Complaints about these businesses should be directed to the Department of Financial Institutions at:, or

Department of Financial Institutions
PO Box 41200
Olympia, WA  98504-1200
(360) 902-8700 or 1-877-RING-DFI (746-4334)


15. Firearms/Concealed Carry Permit/Out of State Visitors

The Attorney General's Office does not have jurisdiction over firearms licensing, enforcement or prosecution. In Washington, firearms enforcement issues are under the jurisdiction of local law enforcement and the prosecutor's office.

The Department of Licensing handles firearms permits at (360) 664-6616 or at the department's website:

Department of Licensing
Firearms Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507


16. Gambling

The Washington State Gambling Commission enforces the state's gambling laws.  The Gambling Commission Web site provides extensive information about gambling laws, licensing of games and tribal gaming.  You can contact the commission at:


17. Health Professional Complaints

Complaints or concerns about doctors, nurses, dentists and other health professionals should be directed to the Washington State Department of Health at:

WA State Department of Health
Health Systems Quality Assurance
PO Box 47865
Olympia, WA 98504-7865
(360) 236-4700


18. Homeowners Associations

The Attorney General's Office does not have jurisdiction or oversight authority over homeowners associations. We can best serve you by suggesting you contact a private attorney for legal advice. If you do not know an attorney in your area, the Washington State Bar Association's Web site provides information on attorney referral services for persons of varying income levels. You may also contact the Bar by calling 1-800-945-WSBA (9722).


19. Immigration

The Washington State Attorney General has no authority over federal immigration matters. You should contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for assistance at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY).  You may also want to visit their Web site at: The Seattle office can be reached at:

USCIS Seattle District Office
12500 Tukwila International Boulevard
Seattle, WA 98168

You may also wish to contact your federal representatives. In many cases they are able to provide assistance to citizens in resolving issues involving federal agencies.

Senator Maria Cantwell
915 Second Avenue, Suite 3206
Seattle, WA 98174

Senator Patty Murray
2988 Jackson Federal Building
915 2nd Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98174
(206) 553-5545


20. Insurance Complaints

Office_of_Insurance_CommissionerThe Attorney General's Office does not have jurisdiction over insurance issues. In Washington, all insurance matters are handled by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner at:

Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Consumer Advocacy & Outreach
5000 Capitol Blvd.
PO Box 40256
Tumwater, WA 98501

Insurance Consumer Hotline:  1-800-562-6900



21. Jobs


22. Judges/Judicial Conduct Complaints

The state Commission on Judicial Conduct considers complaints against judges and court commissioners in Washington. For additional information on filing a complaint, visit the Commission’s Web site at You may also call the commission at (360) 753-4585 or write to:

Commission on Judicial Conduct
PO Box 1817
Olympia, WA 98507


23. Labor and Industries Claims

All inquiries concerning Labor and Industries claims and services and workplace safety should be directed to the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at:

WA State Department of Labor & Industries
PO Box 44000
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 902-5800
(360) 902-5797 (TTY)
1-800-547-8367 (claims)


24. Landlord-Tenant Issues

For help with residential Landlord-Tenant issues contact the Northwest Justice Project at 211 or 1-877-211-9274.

For help with Manufactured/Mobile Home Landlord-Tenant issues visit our Manufactured Housing Dispute Resolution Program Web site at:


25. Legal Advice

The primary role of the Attorney General's Office is to provide legal representation to the State of Washington, its agencies, and state officials acting in their official capacities. The office is not authorized to advise or represent private citizens on personal legal matters. While it is our policy to provide information of a general nature whenever possible, we do not have the statutory authority to answer questions that require legal analysis.

We can best serve you by suggesting you contact a private attorney for legal advice. If you do not know an attorney in your area, the Washington State Bar Association's Web site provides information on attorney referral services for persons of varying income levels. You may also contact the Bar by calling 1-800-945-WSBA (9722).

 Copies of Washington laws can be obtained at this Web site:


26. Legal Aid

If you are low income, and:

  • have a civil legal problem
  • do NOT live in King County

    Call the Northwest Justice Project's CLEAR Intake phone line: 1-888-201-1014

If you are low income, and:

  • have a civil legal problem
  • live in King County

   Call 211 for information and a referral

If you are NOT low income visit the Washington State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Web site at:

For self-help legal information on a variety of topics, go to


27. Legal Documents

Need to know where to get a copy of a legal document? Depending on the type of document, there are several possibilities.

If the document is part of a judicial proceeding, you will need to visit the Court Clerk’s office in the county or federal jurisdiction where the case was filed.

Copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates may be available through the county health office where the event occurred, or through the state Department of Health at

For copies of federal documents, you will need to contact the federal agency that issued the document. To replace a lost Social Security card, for example, you should contact the Social Security Administration by visiting one of their local offices or their Web site. For a lost passport, contact the United States Department of State Passport Services Division at



28. Lemon Law



29. Liquor Regulation

The Washington State Liquor Control Board controls liquor and tobacco distribution, and licenses and regulates wholesaler and retailers of liquor and tobacco.  The Liquor Control Board Web site is:


30. Local Government, Law Enforcement, Public Official Misconduct

The Attorney General's Office does not have oversight authority over local governmental entities such as the prosecutor or local law enforcement.

In criminal matters, the Attorney General has only limited statutory authority to investigate crimes and initiate prosecutions, and only at the request of a county prosecuting attorney or the governor.

Complaints involving a prosecuting attorney should be directed to the Washington State Bar Association at:

Complaints involving local law enforcement should be directed to the local police chief or the mayor, or to the county sheriff.

Under RCW 43.09.260, the Attorney General's Office is authorized to take action in a matter if an audit examination by the Auditor's Office discloses malfeasance, misfeasance or nonfeasance on the part of a public officer or employee. Concerns of this nature should be directed to the State Auditor's Office at:, which reviews operations of state and local agencies to ensure that public funds are spent and accounted for in accordance with the law. If you are a state employee, you may wish to report suspected improper governmental activity under the state Auditor’s Whistleblower Program.


31. Non-Profit Organizations/Charities

Non profit organizations and charities are registered with the Secretary of State at:

Secretary of State
PO Box 40234
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 725-0378
1-800-332-GIVE (4483)


32. Pensions/401K

Questions concerning pensions should be directed the U.S. Department of Labor's Employee Benefits Security Administration. That agency can assist you or provide appropriate referral information:

US Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
1111 Third Ave., Room 860
Seattle, WA 98101-3212
(206) 553-4244
1-866-444-EBSA (3272)


33. Prison/Inmate Issues

General inquiries regarding state correctional facilities or inmates should be directed to the Department of Corrections at:

Department of Corrections
PO Box 41101
Olympia, WA 98504

Offender complaints can only be filed by the offender on his or her own behalf at the facility where they are incarcerated. An Offender Complaint form can be filled out and filed with the facility's Grievance Coordinator, who would then take any appropriate action.


34. Public Records

You should request the public record from the agency which has the document. You may be asked to put your request in writing, and there may be a charge for copying. Washington’s Open Records Act governs the inspection and copying of public records held by state and local government agencies. The law requires that its provisions be "liberally construed…to promote full access to public records" by members of the public."  However, the law also exempts certain records from disclosure.

Members of the public who are denied access to a record held by a state agency (not a local agency)  may ask the Attorney General’s Office to review the decision. The office will independently review your request and the agency’s denial, and provide you with a written opinion as to whether the record you requested is exempt from disclosure. This review by the Attorney General is not binding on the agency or upon you.  For additional information about state open records and open meetings issues, visit the AGO's Public Records and Open Public Meetings site at:

The federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) governs the disclosure of documents held by U.S. government agencies.  A good source of information about FOIA is the National Freedom of Information Center,


35. Real Estate Complaints

The Washington State Department of Licensing handles complaints against real estate agents at:

Department of Licensing
Real Estate Section Disciplinary Unit
PO Box 9015
Olympia, WA 98507
(360) 664-6488


36. Sales Tax

Issues involving state sales tax are handled by the Washington State Department of Revenue at:

Washington State Department of Revenue
PO Box 47450
Olympia, WA 98504


37. Schools/Teachers

Inquiries involving K-12 schools and school employees should be directed to the Superintendent of Public Instruction at:

Superintendent of Public Instruction
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200
(360) 725-6000
(360) 664-3631 (TTY)


38. Spam




39. Unemployment benefits

Inquiries about unemployment benefits should be directed to the Department of Employment Security at: or:

PO Box 9046
Olympia, WA 98507-9046
(360) 902-9500


40. Utilities/Public Counsel


41. Veterinarians

Complaints or concerns involving veterinarians are handled by the Washington State Department of Health at:

WA State Department of Health
Health Systems Quality Assurance Services
Veterinary Board of Governors
PO Box 47865
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 236-4700



42. Washington Laws

Many public libraries have copies of state statutes, known collectively as the Revised Code of Washington. Another easy way to research and obtain copies of state laws is to visit Access Washington’s Laws and Codes page at

Contact lawmakers: The legislative hotline can provide you with contact information for your state representatives at: 1-800-562-6000.


43. Washington State Patrol/Criminal History

Background checks and other criminal history inquiries are handled by the Washington State Patrol at:


44. Whistleblower

The Whistleblower Program is administered by the Office of the State Auditor. Detailed information about the program and how to file a complaint can be found here:

It is an unfair practice for an employer to retaliate against a person for opposing illegal discrimination. If you believe that your employer retaliated against you, you may have a basis to file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission.

WA ST Human Rights Commission 
PO Box 42490
Olympia WA 98504-2490
(360) 753-6770
1-800-300-7525 (TTY)


45. Wills & Probate

Washington LawHelp maintains an informative page with links to resources regarding wills, power of attorney, living wills, probate and inheritance on their Web site.


46. Not Listed?

Contact the Attorney General

1125 Washington St. SE
PO Box 40100
Olympia, WA  98504-0100
(360) 753-6200

Contact the Attorney General Online

Contact another state agency or elected official
Content Bottom Graphic
AGO Logo